Chicago Rental Assistance Program - Summer Hub

Chicago Rental Assistance Program

Cover your rental costs due to emergencies or loss of income.

Chicago Rental Assistance Program

Due to an emergency or loss of income, you may need support with your rent. RAP (Rental Assistance Program) provides funding so that you can remain in your rental unit without financial pressure.

Assistance may include payment toward future rent or balance due, security deposit, and application fees.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be a resident of Chicago
  • Be experiencing risk of homelessness due to eviction, emergency, or loss of income
  • Be considered a low-income household
  • Have your landlord complete RAP requirements

You can prove your eligibility with:

  • A Lease
  • An eviction notice, loss of income, or proof of an emergency
  • Paystubs, benefit statements, or affidavit with an explanation of no income
  • Landlord agreement forms
  • Driver’s license, state ID, CityKey, or another form of identification
  • Unemployment documents
  • Public Aid income letter

You can apply online at the Department of Family and Support Services.

Here are some helpful tutorials and links to help you navigate the application process:

Frequently Asked Questions

Additional requirements for approval:

  • Affidavit for you and your family members if there is no proof of income, social security card, or identification

For additional application assistance, call or visit one of the six following community centers in your area between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM.

Recommended Resources


Real World Resources

"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today."

– Malcolm X, human rights activist
Can't Find What You're Looking For?

Email one of the contacts listed below to bring your real-life questions to a real-life person.

Or if you're not sure who to ask, just reach out through the following form and we'll connect you to the right person, who can help you find the answers you need